

The top picture was taken earlier today when Melanie and I took a "popsicle break" from cleaning out one side of the garage. The bottom picture was taken last Sunday when she and I went to the park. The other girl in the picture is just someone who was playing at the park and took it upon herself to encourage Melanie as she tried to climb.
In case you missed the first sentence: 6 years and 4 months after moving into our house I am finally parking my car in the garage. There are quite a few empty boxes and bags of trash I'll be putting out on trash day but the work is done. I even have all my retired PartyLite products in one area of the garage, in boxes or plastic containers, ready for my fall open house/sale in a couple months. I started around 9:30 am this morning, took several long breaks, got a nap in, and finished about 30 minutes ago. I have never cared too much about parking outside, even during the snow, but I am happy to have the spot in the garage.
The pollen rating in Indiana has been off the charts over the last couple weeks. Matt has been staying inside as much as possible to help fend off sneezing fits. I am beginning to find myself suffering so I might have to start taking something, too. So far Melanie seems to handle the weather okay.
Melanie and I spend as much time as possible outside; today was one of those days. While I was working outside in the garage Melanie was playing in the driveway with "things" we would come across. Her favorite was a small bag of sparkly, flattened marbles. She layed them out in her small red wagon and would make things out of them. "Mommy, come look at my flower!" "Mommy, make a butterfly". I walked over and took all the time necessary to create what inspired her. I refuse to miss those moments with her. I knew the garage could wait. (But like I said earlier... my car is in there now. Wooo hooo!!!!)
Matt put some things from our garage out in our shed; she tagged along with him during that. It's adorable to watch her walk along with Matt. I have so many clear memories of times with my dad from her same age. It is almost like watching history repeat itself.
Potty-training... a time in any parent's life when the thought of never buying pull-ups again equates to money savings. We are there. Yesterday I took Melanie to get her hair cut -- she went potty in their bathroom. In the evening she and I went to Panera for supper -- she went potty there, too. Our last stop was Wal-Mart -- yes she went there. She was dry all day -- AWESOME!!!! We are fast approaching never having to purchase pull-ups again. Melanie goes between "big girl" undies and pull-ups. We can tell she takes special pride in wearing "big girl" undies. Last evening at Wal-Mart she picked out Dora the Explorer ones... priceless.
Matt has unearthed long forgotten toys. These toys have taken on a new life with Melanie. Matchbox cars from his childhood, Spiderman dolls from when Nathaniel was little, some Nascar cars/semi-trailers that were collecting dust in our garage -- all of them bring huge smiles from Melanie. Most of her classmates are boys, she took her Spiderman doll into daycare this past week to show them. Poor Spiderman had a broken leg -- an accident by me while playing with him. :( Along with those toys she has a special love for motorcycles. We have picked up some small Matchbox motorcycles which have fast become more of her favorites, too.
Melanie's entry into the world of being 3 is solidified. We are proud of her.
No comments:
Post a Comment