Monday, September 06, 2010

Melanie's 3rd Birthday

Today is Melanie's 3rd Birthday.

On September 5, 2007 around 10:00 pm my water broke, starting the labor of my pregnancy. I was exhausted after working a full day.

Matt and I called the doctor; we headed into the hospital. The funniest moment was when we got to the triage area in the Labor and Delivery unit the nurse asked if I was sure my water broke. I lifted up my purse that was sitting on my lap to expose a thoroughly wet pair of pants. Question answered.

They did some examinations, asked us some questions, and then eventually we were admitted to the room where Melanie would end up being born. I never was able to get any sleep in until after she was born.

We walked the halls some, stood rocking back and forth in front of the TV. I even logged onto a computer at one of the nurse's stations to send a quick email to my teammates to let them know I wouldn't be in the next day. That was around 11:30 pm when Matt had caught a few winks of sleep. When it came time to push, I was pretty wiped out. Matt was there with me the whole time and it was great to lean on him emotionally because I was totally spent.

Around 2:35 pm on September 6, 2007 Melanie came into the world with a final push; after 16 1/2 hours of labor she was here. Melanie had 10 fingers, 10 toes, a healthy cry, and a strong heart beat. She was healthy and we were happy.

I know that everyone says "time flies when kids are little" so I was pretty prepared for it to occur. What I didn't expect to have was all the moments of regret when I wished I had snapped a picture or two. This blog has helped to keep me snapping those pictures for family and friends to enjoy.

Here is to another year of Melanie's life full of precious activities and pictures to remember them by. Happy Birthday, Melanie.

Today, 3 years later, Melanie crawled out of bed around 6 am but stayed in bed until around 7:30. We went outside and played for about an hour. We spent that time swinging, reading magazines, and putting birdseed out in the feeders. Melanie's version of reading magazines is picking out all the pictures of animals and food that she recognizes.

Around 9 am we came back inside to open birthday presents. There were presents to open from the Jones and Yoder grandparents as well as presents from Matt and I.

Airplanes from Mommy and Daddy.


A bend-y guy that we left by accident in Branson West over the July 4th holiday. It's a pirate.
Matt is helping put on a bracelet with her name on it.

Anything else in here? Nope... just the white foam packing that is happily making a mess on the floor.
Dora backpack/pull-along filled with more toys.

More fun with the box of foam... before she dumped it of course. :o)
When Melanie and I were hanging around outside this morning, she comes up to me and says, "Mommy, I want to pick you some flowers." She walked over towards the streambed where a lot of our wildflowers grow. Melanie made two trips back and forth with her little hands full of small yellow daisy-like flowers. We came in soon after that to put them in water. I couldn't resist the urge to post them here with her birthday pictures. My angel-girl picked her mommy flowers... adorable.

No comments: