Sunday, June 27, 2010

Hi Daddy!!

A couple weeks ago Matt headed to Kansas City for his 20 year high school reunion. While he enjoyed the "single life" for four days, we girls lived the "girl stuff" life.

There were many activities of Mom and Melanie occurring. I'm sure at some point in Melanie's life she will not enjoy laundry duties... but she goes at it with a vengeance with me. There is always something funny she does to bring about both of us laughing. Melanie also likes "helping" me unload and load the dishwasher. She looks so proud holding a towel to hand dry any leftover water from the clean dishes.

My favorite activity with Melanie is being outside enjoying a nice day. The weather wasn't perfect for us that weekend but we did get some outdoor activities in as much as possible. It was so unbelievably hot and muggy that it wasn't totally enjoyable outside.

I took Melanie over to our neighbor's house for her first "big pool" experience. Our neighbors are wonderful people who have graciously given us access to their above-ground pool. Their generosity is so wonderful. After our nap time on the Sunday of our girl weekend, Melanie and I headed over with beach towels and sunscreen in hand. I also was carrying a whole box of Dairy Queen buster bars to share. Melanie was tentative at first but after some time she was having lots of fun. Our visit ended with everyone enjoying a buster bar on the deck.

Highlight of the weekend..... Sunday it was hot, muggy, and uncomfortable again. The ice cream fairies were planting ideas in my head. Where else do you head on a miserably hot day with an adorable toddler in tow? Coldstone Creamery!!!

I took Melanie to Coldstone Creamery for her first visit on that hot day. She picked out M&Ms as her candy for the ice cream; I had my favorite (sweet cream with raspberries). We sat down at a small bistro table and settled in to enjoy our ice cream splurges. A few bites into her ice cream, Melanie says to me "This is yummy. Green M&M!!". She would say the color of the candies with such proud little eyes. I whipped out my camera phone and told her to say hi to Daddy. CLICK! While she was saying hi to Daddy, she decided to wave (see below). I promptly sent it to Matt's phone for him to enjoy from 8 hours away. The picture is a little fuzzy, but you can still see the excitement in her eyes.


Matt was gone for three "bedtimes". Melanie would often ask me where he was. I came up with a plan on that first night. I brought up a map on the computer and showed her where Indianapolis and Kansas City were. From that point forward when she asked, I would say "Kansas City". She'd smile and say back to me "Daddy in Kansas City, mommy".

A couple days into our weekend I overheard her talking to the dogs and telling them where Daddy was. I am sure that in her blooming toddler brain she felt it was important for Jessie and Smokey to realize where their "daddy" was, too. All I can say to that is....adorable.

Speaking of adorable, I cannot help myself. I need to post a picture of Melanie when she was 7 months old. It is easily one of my all-time favorite baby pictures of her. I hope you enjoy it. Until my next post, have a wonderful Sunday.

No comments: