Saturday, November 03, 2007

8 wks old - Update

Melanie is now 8 weeks old... and I only have two more weeks of maternity leave left.

As Melanie begins to improve on holding her head up, she is also starting to learn a new skill -- making more noises. As she sits here in my arms a slight "cooing" is going on. Reacting with an instant smile when she hears/recognizes Matt and I is another skill that is getting stronger. From time to time she is coupling her smile with a slight laugh. I hope for many years to come our presence continues to bring her happines. The teenage years will come all too soon so we're cherishing all these small moments now.

Melanie still enjoys doubling-up her legs towards her stomach when she is held. She finds the curled up position comforting and falls asleep pretty quick up against our chests when held that way.

A couple days ago I started laying Melanie down in the other room when she is napping during the day. Since she is only two weeks away from going to daycare, I want her to start getting used to being left in her own "bed" when she sleeps during the day. At the current time I only do that about fifty-percent of the time; the other fifty-percent she is out with me in the bassinet. I also started using a baby monitor when she is in the other room. That may seem like a very normal thing to most, but I had convinced myself before she was born that I didn't need a monitor. Our house is fairly small, all on one level, why wouldn't I just hear her when I need to? Well... take into account banging around in the kitchen, listening to the radio, or giving my attention to my work and there you have the means to not hear a baby. It was a garage sale find before she was born for only a couple bucks... so... no harm done. :o)

Melanie and I go over to her aunt Debbie's house every once in awhile during the week. Katie, Robbie, and Sara really enjoy seeing their little cousin. Each one asks for a chance to hold their new baby cousin.

I have started working although I do not technically go back until November 16th. Getting in a few extra hours now will ensure a relaxing Thanksgiving vacation for our new little family. I'll only be doing a couple days worth of work over the next couple weeks.

Matt and Melanie continue a little routine when he gets home from work. Matt also checks in with her brother, Nathaniel, to see how his football games are going. His team is doing well and he is one of their best players. Melanie, Matt, and I are very proud of her big brother!

Today Melanie is meeting our friend Nancy for the first time since being born. The four of us are going to have lunch at a local Thai restaurant. We love Thai food!

Well... I'm onto getting another cup of coffee. Matt is still sleeping and Melanie is ready for her next feeding. Until next time, enjoy all the posts on little Melanie.

No comments: